Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Internet Safety

I just finished watching the three videos on internet safety that are linked to modules 1&2. I assume the first one is meant for teenagers, the second one for children, and the third one for very young children. The first one seemed like a teenager's project for a computer class. Whoever made the video put some personality and style in it, using music and text effects. They also included some good information about websites that could be helpful to other teenagers who may be encountering some troublesome situations on the internet. The second video had a catchy rap tune that would certainly appeal to kids, though I'm not sure how much information would really stick with the viewer after watching. The third video for young children was my favorite. It was very age appropriate, repeating the rules several times, using consistent graphics, and explaining internet safety in the simplest terms possible.
Student safety is a top priority for educators. I remember back when I was in elementary school, how much time and effort my teachers spent going over fire safety, stranger dangers, how to cross the street safely, and other basic skills to keep students safe in their everyday lives. These days students spend much of their time on the internet. How to behave responsibly online and how to react to situations that will occur when using the internet are becoming important life skills that teachers will have to incorporate into their lessons on staying safe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ginette!

    I definitely agree with what you said about having students "behave responsibly" while online. I would like to think that for the most part people in general know right from wrong and what is acceptable behavior both on and off line - obviously not always the case. In the elementary school where I work, we are teaching students about good character and doing the right thing. When I was in school doing the right thing was expected and not behaving responsibly was not accepted - it's funny how we have to re-teach these "skills". Sorry a little off topic ha - but great review!

    ReplyDelete