Tuesday, March 24, 2009

School Web Pages

I took a close look at each school's web site in the district where I am currently student teaching. They are all designed a little differently, but contain the same basic information. The things they all have in common are that the links are layed out in neat, easy to read menu lists, the fonts are a good size and easy to read, and the background colors are calm and easy on the eyes. Each site also includes a link to all the teacher web sites for the school's faculty.

I definitely like that most teachers now have a web page. It is important to help keep parents and students informed. I think it must save teachers some frustration too. By posting announcements and assignments on a web page where everyone can check it at their leisure, parents and students won't need to ask the teachers the same questions repeatedly. I found that the teachers working at the school I am at have wonderful web sites with great information and a variety of interesting layouts. The district has a subscription to TeacherWeb, and all members of the faculty are required to maintain a web page. I was comforted to see that most of the teachers post their assignments weekly, because that is what I thought I would like to do. They all have disclaimers about the assignments being subject to change too! Other things I saw posted that I thought were good ideas were schedules, calendars, and upcoming class activities and school events.

Based on what I've seen on other teacher's web pages, I have figured out how I want my web page to look, and what I want it to include. Unfortunately the Scholastic web page builder will no longer allow me to do anything. After many tries, it finally allowed me to log in so that I could try to edit some sections. Each time I click on anything, it sends me right back to the log in page. Is this happening to anyone else? It would be nice to have a free site to help me build a web page, but if it doesn't work, it is not at all helpful. Hopefully I can get it working and finish this project, but I do not plan on ever using Scholastic again. Hopefully whatever district I eventually work for will have a subscription to something much better. If they do not, I will gladly pay my own subscription to TeacherWeb so that I do not have to deal with this frustration again.

4 comments:

  1. Ginette,

    I am sorry you are having trouble logging in. Maybe you can try a different computer. This could work...


    Like we discussed in class, Scholastic can be a bit frustrating, but if you continue to click "Continue", it should bring you to the right page.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Thanks for your posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry you are also having trouble with this program, I had the very same issues so I am happy to know it was not just me I decided to go and edit and enhance the website I built for my class a couple of months ago, which has been very useful and helpful not just for me but for my students as well. the program I used was MyTeacherweb.com I am still playing with it but the basics is on it and allows me to keep in touch when my students when they or me are absent.I will be working some more on it so I can use it for my assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frustrating! I hope you get it all figured out and that I don't have those problems! I'm wondering, when talking to the teachers about their district webpage did they have any problems about the information they had to submit. My school district doesn't have one because teachers didn't want to submit certain pieces of information about themselves. They didn't necessarily want to give our their email or the # of years they'd been teaching or the colleges and degrees. Because of that, teachers have branched out on their own to create their own sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Posting!

    I think you are 100% right that school web pages are a great way to keep both students and parents well informed. I think it is important to have a web page and also a common add-on for the class. Many of the schools web pages that I reviewed are typically the same too. I would really like to see teachers become more creative and adventure out more.

    ReplyDelete