Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Web Page Building

I started working on my web page during the last class meeting and came away feeling pretty good about the free Scholastic site. Though I had a positive first impression, I've since become very frustrated working to build my web page. It really bothers me that I am knocked off the site repeatedly. I'm not sure if the glitch is Scholastic's fault or just bad luck with the different computers I'm using, but either way, it's making this project become a difficult chore. I am also unhappy with the selection of clip art the site provides. Please correct me if I am missing something on the site, but I have not been able to find helpful directions for how to add better photographs and images from other sites on the Internet.

Besides having general problems with using the Scholastic web page builder, I'm also struggling with the content. I don't really know how in-depth to get with making book lists, software lists, and posting assignments. I am only student teaching right now, and do not really have my own class, so that may be why I don't really have ideas for books or software to recommend. As far as posting homework goes, I think the best way to do it would be to update the assignments on a weekly basis. I will be sure to include a disclaimer stating that assignments are subject to change, depending on what is covered in class each day.

I am sure that I will figure out what to do and become more comfortable working on and maintaining my own web page, but I will probably need to ask some friends for advice and help. I am also going to take a look at other teachers' web pages to get a better sense of what I should include, and borrow some good ideas! Thanks for reading my venting session!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, although the internet is definitely help. It can breed frustration! Technology is definitely not perfect, but like most things you must possess patience! I totally understand and feel how you've felt. Patience is what you need to get through when working with the internet and technology as things can happen - lose work, bounced off to another site, get interrupted, etc. You may want to always "save" EVERYTHING! It will definitely save you some time and frustration. :)

    Patience, Ginette. I hope things have changed for you within the last week or so and you've been able to complete the website with less aggravation! :)

    ReplyDelete